Just One Minute
Balanced Fare: We Report, You Deride

Thursday, October 10, 2002



Democrats Caught Between Iraq and a Soft Base

Money talks, BS walks. So say Mickey, the Brothers Judd ( with a cryptic link), and the WaPo.

So, what does it mean? Evidently, the reliably wily team of Daschle and Gephardt have once again out-maneuvered the "too dumb to speak, too dumb to lead" George Bush. This time, the scheme seems to be for normally enthusiastic Democrats to sit on their wallets now, as a prelude to sitting in their easy-chairs come Election Day. George will never know what hit him!

Now, let me take you back in time to the movie "Cool Hand Luke", and the Mad Magazine parody thereof. There is NO chance of my finding this online, so we will rely on a straight "memory dump".

A classic moment in this movie is when George Kennedy has a fistfight with Paul Newman. Newman is licked, but is too cussed to stay down, so the fight ends in an odd sort of draw.

And how do I remember the MAD Magazine version? The strategy session between Newman and his handler goes something like this:

"First, I am going to tire him out."

"How?"

"By letting him beat me to a pulp. Them I am going to make him think he killed me."

"How?"

"By dying."


OK, I have no idea what made me think of that.

UPDATE: OK, seriously. This story will appear tomorrow in the Times, but re-written as an urgent fund-raising appeal. Just One Guess.

UPDATE 2: Hmm, no visible mention of this in the Friday Dead Tree Edition. Darn this "Dark Force" Decoder Ring anyway!


Comments: Post a Comment

Home