Just One Minute
Balanced Fare: We Report, You Deride

Monday, May 19, 2003



Intellectual Diversity In The Blogpsphere - Left v. Right

Patrick Ruffini and Andrew Sullivan comment on intellectual diversity in the blogosphere, and believe the Right has more of it. Patrick first:

...it's probably true that, advocacy-wise, lefty bloggers make the most of their limited traffic by being very party line on Bush and most domestic issues. The "righties" aren't.

Andrew:

As to the greater eclecticism of those broadly on the right, I'd say Patrick's onto something. I'm forgetting who coined this phrase but I think it's largely true that today's right looks for converts whereas today's left looks for heretics. That's why the left tends to be duller, more self-absorbed and generally less entertaining than the right. The right is always trying to build an audience; the left is busy purging theirs'.

Say it with me - oh, for heaven's sake. My zen reply is this - zebras look different to other zebras.

Now, Andrew revives a puzzle - can I write a sentence without a hyphen? Yes, but he brings up another puzzle as well - who said "the right looks for converts while the left looks for heretics"?

I find several sources attributing it to Doug Henwood, but I find a message board comment from Doug Henwood attributing it to Michael Kinsley. Perhaps they are both popularizers of someone else's quip.

Anyway, I seem to be at the end of the Google-verse with this problem. Time for the high-priced Lexis-Nexis talent to take over.


Comments: Post a Comment

Home