Just One Minute
Balanced Fare: We Report, You Deride

Monday, July 21, 2003



Be Careful What You Wish For

I ask for a quote where Bush says Saddam has nuclear weapons, and what do I get? Another opportunity to tap-dance, and me with all my best clothes at the cleaners. Another time, maybe?

George Bush, Dec 31, 2002:

Q: Sir, why should we be more worried about Saddam Hussein, who has no nuclear weapons, than Kim Chong-il, who is unstable and does have nuclear weapons?

THE PRESIDENT: Well, first of all, I think it's important to remember that Saddam Hussein was close to having a nuclear weapon. We don't know whether or not he has a nuclear weapon. We do expect him to disarm his weapons of mass destruction, that's what we expect.


Emphasis added. And waddya mean, we don't know? You mean he might? Gimme a break.

Sorry, I thought that was my main man Armando out there.

UPDATE: Yes, I have read the follow-up Q&A. I am already having a long day - are you trying to make it longer?

Fine, my comment - It was a slow news day, and he was responding in the context of North Korea and the nuclear threat to America; he was not addressing the full case for disarming Saddam.

Ahh, I can feel my spine stiffening already!

UPDATE: My source for the above quote was Joseph Cirincione, gentleman and scholar, who was recently misquoted in the NY Times.






Comments: Post a Comment

Home